Sony has launched its new phablet Xperia T2 Ultra late march this year. This handful device comes with 6 inch Triluminos display and Bravia Engine 2 for mobile picture engine with the resolution of 720x1280 pixels calling itself a next generation large screen smart phone.
This handset is available at all major electronic stores and all Sony & Xperia Flagship stores for price around 25k rupees.
Sony’s traditional slimmest and sleekest design is continued in T2 Ultra also. It comes with 165.2 x 83.8 x 7.65 mm dimensions that gives a perfect slimmest look to the handset. The edges are smoothened and it looks alike previous versions of the Xperia series. the only difference you can notice is the size of the handset.
It is not the mobile phone and not the tablet, it is the phablet we’re talking about now. The display is 6 inch wide with 720x1280 pixels and 16,777, 216-color TFT screen which serves a great movie and gaming experience.
The Triluminos IPS display technology serves best in displaying vivid rich palette of colors making it possible to notice the difference between similar colors. For e.g., with triluminos display, you can see the difference between the roses of two different reds or the skies with two different blues at different times and places and also can differentiate greens like emerald greens and normal greens.
Heavy graphic gaming and movies would give a eye feast on this device.
The second generation Bravia engine features the real time contrast optimization to sharpness enhancement, high-quality color management and noise reduction. This screen intelligence technology from Sony analyses the content type and adjusts the image on the screen accordingly. The difference can be experienced while scrolling through the stack of photos and playing high definition videos.
Processor & RAM
Sony T2 Ultra is equipped with 1.4GHz Qualcomm snapdragon quad-core processor and 1GB of RAM. The quad-core processor is quite good in rendering graphics with less usage of battery. The Snapdragon processor is asynchronous, which means each core is powered up and down independently. So the battery power is used intelligently when in need only.
The processor configuration seems apt for the price it is coming for but the RAM is too low for such a price. Performance wise, the configuration is good but the price wise, it costs high for such moderate processor configuration.
T2 Ultra runs on Android 4.3 Jelly Bean operating system with network operating frequencies GSM - 850, 900, 1800, 1900; UMTS – 2100. This Xperia big brother has a built-in LTE/4G modem that enables superfast internet connections with 150Mbps download speed and 50Mbps upload speed. Unfortunately, the 4G technology is hardly introduced in countries like India yet.
This handset comes with Qualcomm’s Adreno 305 GPU that runs smooth flow of graphics on the device.
Sony T2 Ultra has 8GB of internal memory of which user can only use 4.8GB and the remaining is dedicated for applications. The external memory can be added through microSD cards up to 32GB.
Camera is my favorite part of the gadgets I would love to talk about. Sony T2 Ultra comes with 13MP primary camera at rear along with the LED flash and 1.1MP secondary camera at front.
The rear camera allows you to shoot HDR pictures with super HD quality and it records 1920 x 1080 HD resolution videos. The 16X digital zoom is very good. The zoomed shot image looks crispy and loses no HD quality at most.
The secondary camera is not that quite good. 1.1MP won’t give you very good quality on video calls which is not expected in T2 Ultra.
Sony T2 Ultra comes with pre-loaded camera apps to make pictures more fun and spectacular. Extra camera apps can be installed with just a simple click on +Add option on the view finder.
- The handful size of the phablet with 6 inch triluminos display powered with Bravia Engine 2 is really a new flagship in display technology. The slimmest and sleekest design gives the device a slate like look that fits in firm grip of the hand while using.
- The processor and GPU with 1GB RAM drives graphics so smoothly and the display technology gives the best vivid picture in HD quality. Gaming and watching animated and movies with high graphics is an eye feast.
- Noticeable changes are made to the camera in Sony Xperia T2 Ultra. 13MP is very good enough to take high resolution photographs. The HDR balances the image lighting conditions accordingly. Viewing photos on T2 Ultra would be another thing we should be talking. The triluminos display differentiates the colors very intelligently on the screen.
Considering the technical specs and revamped features, Sony Xperia T2 Ultra is a very good phablet to buy.
- The RAM is too low for such a price of 24-25k rupees.
- The secondary camera is only just 1.1MP which is too bad for a handset with 13MP on the rear. There should be at least 2MP on the front for moderate quality video calls.
- Only 4.8GB of the total 8GB internal storage can be used.
What do you think? Is Sony Xperia T2 Ultra worth buying? Share your thoughts in comments below!